Monday, March 29, 2021

College

Hey guys!

I've only made one blog post this whole year, so I decided I should squeeze one more in before we graduate lol. So, if you've been around me enough this past year, you would know that my top choice for college was the University of Georgia. Athens is so beautiful and just an amazing college town, and I really love UGA's campus. However, they are oddly picky with their applicants. They tend to accept less than half of those who apply, and this year the acceptance rate dropped down to 38ish%. After getting deferred in November, I honestly tried to forget about UGA and looked into going to other schools like Auburn or Clemson. But to my surprise, UGA accepted me on March 19th! I was just alone in my room on the phone with Sam when I clicked the update, so it wasn't a super special moment but I was still so so happy. I'm still sort of shocked that I got in. I already committed, and I'm about to confirm my roommate as soon as she commits as well. The anxiety that waiting for UGA decisions gave me was insane, but I'm so glad about the outcome.

On the other hand, now that I know where I'm going, I can't stand being at school. Last week I missed Monday, checked out early Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, and only made it through one full day of school which was Thursday. My senioritis has really worsened over the past week. I actually contemplated leaving early today, but since it's only a 4 day week I thought I would stay. But who knows? I'll probably leave early tomorrow or any other day of the week because, not to be dramatic, I really just can't take this place anymore. 

Where is everyone going to college?? I'm super curious to know. And if you're still waiting for more decisions to come out, good luck!! Just remember you'll end up where you're meant to be, even if it's not what you originally expected. :))

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow it's a rare Sofia post! How exciting! I am so so happy that you're going to UGA! I always thought you had a very good chance, and I'm so happy it worked out (sorry you had to wait a few months though). How did you pick your roommate? I think I'll gun for a single if that's an option because when I want to sleep, I want to sleep, and I don't like people disturbing me (whoops). Chances are I'll have to room with someone though and learn some life lessons. I'm not sure I want to tempt fate my choosing my roommate—maybe I'll just go into the random roommate selection? If I pick my roommate, I feel like I would choose someone very like myself and miss out on an opportunity to know a whole new kind of person. What if my random roommate is supposed to be my lifelong friend and I messed it up? Oh well. I don't know where I'm going to college yet, but hopefully I'll have my mind made up by the time we return from spring break. You can bet I'm going to be buying at least a t-shirt from my college. As for senioritis, all I can say is try to hold on for 17 more days (we all are, desperately). I know it seems like a lot, but it'll be over soon enough. And then, we basically get an extra month of summer which rocks. Yay!

Unknown said...

Hi Sofia,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy about your acceptance into the University of Georgia! You are an amazing student - not only academically, but you are kind and funny and emotionally smart, too. The University of Georgia is so lucky to have you!
I'm not sure where I'm going to college yet. My top choices so far are the University of Rochester, the University of Miami, Case Western Reserve University, and USC. I'll keep y'all posted! :) Good luck to everyone else who has yet to hear back from colleges. I'm thrilled for you, Sofia!
Love from
Clara

Unknown said...

Hey Sofia,
First of all CONGRATS!!!! I’m so happy you were accepted at your top choice, we are all really happy for you!!!! Secondly, I feel your pain, the senioritis is definitely kicking in at this point. It’s funny that you mention that, because just yesterday I was telling my mom how when I was a freshman, I was like “man, that senioritis is nothing. I’ll never let that affect me.” I guess I spoke too soon! I’m ready to graduate and move on to the next chapter of my life.

Take care,
Adriana

Catherine Ronquillo said...

sofiaaaaaa, i could not be more excited. i remember when sam texted me you got in and i could not have been more happy in that moment. i know this has been your dream school for so long and nobody deserved this more than you. i'm so happy they recognized how amazing you are. you always made me feel so confident that i'd get into nyu, even when i wasn't confident in myself so thank you, thank you, thank you. i love you so much. i can't wait to hear about uga and see all the pictures. i know you're gonna thrive. and pls pls come visit me in nyc :)
love, catherine

Unknown said...

Hi, Sofia,

Congratulations!! You've been so excited about UGA since August when we first met, and I could not be happier that you not only got in but will also be an hour's drive away from me in Atlanta. Yes, Catherine, when I come visit, I'll bring Sofia. I'm looking forward to all the coffee dates we'll have and just seeing you for (hopefully) big events in Atlanta. I look forward to it.

Hunter

Unknown said...

Hey,Sofia! That's amazing! I am so proud of you. I know how much you wanted to go there, and it's so great that you can attend such a great university. No one deserved to get into Georgia more than you. And I feel you, senioritis has kicked in. I haven't decided on a college, yet, but I'm sure once I do, I will be so done with high school lol. Anyways congrats!

Unknown said...

Congrats Sofia!! You and I never talked until this year, but I'm glad we got to know each other a little better. You're really sweet and real, and I'm glad you get the chance to go where you want :) I'll drive to you and Hunter and we can all visit Catherine. I am inviting myself to this get together.

Unknown said...

Awe Sofia that is so fantastic! UGA is so lucky to have you. I think Clara said it perfectly. You are such a sweet, smart, and kind person and I see nothing but greatness for you in the future! Also, Georgia is just such a beautiful state! I know you’ll thrive there. Oh, and for my college process so far, I am leaning towards Loyola. I got a great scholarship there and I like how it’s right in the city. I initially wanted to go to Tulane, but 1) I’m worried about the costs and 2) I got waitlisted and I still haven’t heard from them! So annoying!! But I don’t see myself staying in NOLA for too long. I always wanted to move to Seattle and just live my best life there, away from the South. But we’ll see! Again, congrats on your acceptance!
Much love,
Erica Ricci

Unknown said...

Hi Sofia,

I’m a bit late here but CONGRATULATIONS! I know you must be so so excited. This is absolutely incredible. I know we aren’t super close but seriously I’m so proud. You deserve this so much and I’m just so happy for you. I think it’s a great choice and I know you’ll just love the next four years there.

Have fun and much love,
Rikki