Thursday, January 7, 2021

Shows I would recommend

1. Community

A classic, I think a lot of people have seen this one, but if you haven't I would 10/10 recommend. It's kind of like The Office, but personally, I think it's funnier. Its quality does go down sometime in between seasons 4 and 5 (I think they switched writers), but seasons 1-3 are so good. It takes place in a community college where 7 people who have nothing in common form a study group and become good friends. The characters are all so different, and while it is a satirical show, there are serious elements and some real world plot lines. Like I said, the quality does go down a bit (a lot actually), but the later seasons are still okay. 1-3 though, fantastic, please watch.


2. Gotham

Gotham is one of my top favorite shows. It gets a little dumb at times, like any show with six seasons inevitably will, but overall, it's great. It takes place in Gotham right after Bruce Wayne's parents are killed, but instead of following Bruce, it follows police chief Jim Gordon. Bruce is a main character, of course, but he isn't Batman yet, just a teenager trying to figure out who he is. There's all of the classic Batman villains, Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow, the Joker, Solomon Grundy, etc. It is very violent, though, so if you aren't good with blood or broken bones and stuff like that, don't watch it. But everyone else, if you like the DC universe, you'll probably love this.


3. Jericho

This one carries less of a recommendation from me since it was cancelled halfway through season 2, and I didn't realize that until I was already partway through the show and didn't want to stop. But, the episodes that they do have are very good, and I really enjoy what little of this show there is. It takes place in a very small town during a nuclear fallout, and no one is coming to help their town so they have to fend for themselves. It has dystopian vibes, but there's also some loveable characters. It was harder to get attached to this show since it got cancelled, but I would still recommend if you don't mind it ending without a good resolution.


4. Firefly

This is one of the best shows out there and you absolutely cannot convince me otherwise. It was cancelled after one season, but one season was frankly all it needed. Of course I'm sad we didn't get more episodes, but at the same time, I'm very grateful that it didn't have the chance to become a sellout show with new/bad writers like Community. The basic plot is that the earth was so overpopulated that it became unusable, and people were forced to move to different planets. It follows a group of criminals on their spaceship that have to be thieves and do illegal stuff just to get by, but they're all (well, some of them) good people with morals. One of their paying passengers smuggles his sister onto the ship, needing to hide her because he saved her from the government experimenting on her, and they're on the run. So, the show follows the crew going about their normal crime business while also hiding two young fugitives. Firefly is probably my favorite show ever, if I had to pick one. There was also a post canon movie made since fans were angry over its cancellation, and the movie is pretty good, too. It's called Serenity. Please watch this show, I have no one to talk to about it. It's not on Netflix unfortunately, but it's worth buying on Amazon, I promise.


5. Erased

This is an anime I watched over New Year's break, and even if you don't usually like anime, this is such a good show. It's only 12 episodes, but it makes you feel so many emotions in such a short period of time. I watched it with my friends and went through such a huge emotional rollercoaster I had whiplash after, but the good kind, if there is a good kind. The basic plot is that there's this guy who can travel back in time 1-5 minutes, but he can't control when it happens. It happens whenever there's a tragedy about to occur, and he has to look around and figure out what is about to happen and stop it before it does. Some really bad stuff happens, and he travels back 18 years to when he was a child. He needs to stop a tragedy from 18 years ago, when three children were kidnapped and killed by a pedophile, if he wants to stop the tragedy that happens when he's 29 (it's a chain of events, if the killer is stopped, the bad stuff wouldn't happen in the future). There are some really loveable characters, the intro is a banger, and it made me feel every single emotion possible in just twelve 22 minute episodes. So like I said, even if you don't like anime, it's a serious show and doesn't have any of the classic animated overreactions that might be turning you off of it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, Laura!

Personally, I haven’t seen any of these shows on your list, but thank you so much for some recommendations. When I was first quarantined, Clara suggested watching The Queen’s Gambit , which, although it’s popularity has decreased, was a very good series, even if you know nothing about chess. Additionally, I would also recommend Schitt’s Creek , as it’s a very feel-good show, but by the third season, it becomes hysterically funny. What’s your go-to snack when watching tv?

Yours truly,
Hunter