Saturday, January 23, 2021

here's a poem I wrote

Hey y'all, gonna be honest here, I'm not having a particularly good week, and I forgot to blog until Saturday. So because I don't have the energy to come up with anything to talk about in length, here's a poem I wrote. My second post for this week will be another creative writing piece I did. Honest feedback would be much appreciated, if y'all have any critiques.



Grand Goat


There is a solemn looking goat

Sitting next to you in the field where you lie.

You think that if goats were humans,

This goat would be a frail old man,

Tired and weathered but with kind eyes.

This goat would look like the grandfather you never had

Because your mother kept yours away from you.


There is another goat coming to sleep next to you.

This one is young, full of life and energy,

But he feels the lure of sleep from playing so hard.

He pours more into what he does than you ever have,

Even though he is a goat and you are a human.


A big black bird perches on the grass near your left shoe.

A big black bird is not a goat,

A big black bird is not what you came to the field to see,

But you do not shoo it away.

You let it sit by your left shoe,

And you let it peck the grass in search of worms.


It is night now, and the young goat is long gone.

He left hours ago to find his mother,

To annoy her and romp with her

And do all of the things your own mother would never do with you.

Ask yourself:

How does it feel,

Knowing that this field of goats appreciate their family

More than yours will ever appreciate you?


The young goat may be gone,

But the grandfather goat has stayed by your side.

You watch as he lets out a low, sad bleat,

Then lays down his head and goes to sleep.

You don’t think he’ll wake up.

You’ll stay with him in case he does.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Okay, so I was informed by Leven that this could be perceived as a cry for help. It is not a cry for help. This poem is not about me, it's just from some random person's POV, I loved my grandpa, and my mom didn't keep me away from him. Okay, disclaimer over.