Tuesday, January 19, 2021

College Farewells

 


One thing but I've taken upon myself for my last year, is to write Journal logs for every single day of my senior year. I began in the middle of the summer and hope to finish the same day. Please Journal logs are not for me however as I write them or my parents. I love reading and watching videos about college life and one thing that I always noticed was they never spoke about home, which led me to wonder if I would think about home.  I was terrified that I would forget about it and I would become one of those college students who never contacted their parents or family just completely forgot about the entire place they were raised. I know now that they weren't talking about home because it would have been a weird thing to talk about to strangers on YouTube blogs but at the time I did not know that. So in order to make myself feel better and first force myself to always contact my parents once a day, I began writing Arby's journal entries for them. I figured I would give it to them when I left and every day if they wanted to they could read what happened to me that day. I know that it would be a year old source of news about what was going on in my life but I always loved the fact that every day I would get to tell my parents about what went on in my life and did not want to end that when I went off to college. Journal entries sometimes go as long as 5 paragraphs about my day and existential crisis that I sometimes have during them to a sentence about how I watch Netflix all day. I know they sound extremely boring and probably like the last thing my parents want to read about, but I like the thought that even if I do forget to call my parents one day because I am swamped with midterms; they can still look at my journal entry for that day and almost have a sense of familiarity. but who knows. My parents might not miss me at all. They may turn my room into a craft room and be okay with just one call week.  and I might be okay with calling my parents when day a week and not missing them or experiencing any form of homesickness imaginable. I'm not sure if that's the best outcome or the worst but either way it could happen. But right now I like the thought of writing out my day for my parents and having them be a part of my life even when I'm not with them. It's like the easiest way of saying goodbye knowing that I'm not really leaving them in any way shape or form except my physical being.


No comments: