Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Little Girl


One day I will become Amy March. Do I want to become Amy March? NO. I want to be Jo March, because she has awesome hair and real life goals that she puts first in her life before anything else. Jo March is her own woman, a feminist and a and a luminary for her time who knew that she would make her mark on the world because she willed it to be so.  Such a woman manages to do all this yet still put her family members before herself. Amy is the younger bratty little child who can only think about how she looks and what she wants. Alas! BuzzFeed has told me thatI am Amy March.  I suppose I'm okay with this.  When I read the book as a child Amy was my third favorite character so that's not so bad, but as I get older I realize that Amy has become my least favorite character. But WHY? Does Amy do exactly what she planned? Yes, as she and Jo are much alike in their pursuit of their dreams. I understand, Jo possesses a fire and an unrelenting spirit that Amy does not have due to the fact that she is a bit more prissy than her more laid back sister. But I guess I will get over it.  In the 2019 movie Amy does get to marry Timothee Chalamet while Joe has to settle for the other dude whose name I don't even know… Plus I mean Amy was the youngest, so it would make sense that she was bratty and annoying. In the end, Amy is the one who gets everything she wants. Not Jo. Sure, Jo gets her book but she loses Laurie. AMy gets her childhood crush, who not only fell in love with her bit changed into a better person for her, while also getting her dream life as a rich wife. She traveled to Europe like she wanted and even managed to get a bit of recognition for her art. Amy honestly won in life and we hate her for her ambitions? 




Either way...I am Amy.


Also lmao how did I change my stance while writing this blog?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Ryn! I love this. When I heard the Little Women movie was coming out, I managed to delay my family for a day so I could speed-read the book before we saw the movie (does anyone else do this if you know a movie that is based on a book is coming out?). I really enjoyed the book and the movie. While reading and watching, I agreed that Amy was such a bratty person and that Jo was much more awesome. Also, kinda a relatable scene with the book burning. I know for a FACT that if I had burned my sisters' novel, fists would have been flying. Realistic portray I'll say. As for the character thing, I think that most of us want to act like Jo, but we think more like Amy (or, at least I do. maybe I'm projecting. or maybe it is younger sister syndrome). Yes, I want to be selfless for others and not obsess over trivial things like indulging in candy and having everything go my way. But honestly? I can do things for others at the sacrifice of myself and try really hard to not be resentful for it, especially when it's my choice, BUT that doesn't mean I still don't feel it a little. I want exciting things in life and to not be a background character. I want to enjoy frivolous bits of happiness. Hopefully, I'll grow to be more selfless as I mature. Amy's life did turn out pretty well, and I think Jo's did too for the most part (question and SPOILER- didn't Jo realize after she realized she loved Laurie that she actually didn't?). I'm happy that things worked out for them in the end. And also another spoiler but interesting piece of information: the directors changed the movie ending. For the book, Louise May Alcott was pressured to have the girls married off in the end (despite her not wanting to) as was socially expected. Apparently, because the audience was so obsessed with marriage, Alcott put a twist by not having Jo marry Laurie. Instead, Jo marries another person (whose name I also do not know). However, in the movie, Jo has her protagonist marry, but she herself does not. Instead of "getting the guy," she gets her book. I think it was a nice feminist homage to Alcott.