Saturday, January 9, 2021

Pretending to be passionate

 Hey lovelies,

I’ve been writing a lot of applications for financial aid over the break. My biggest problem is that they want me to talk about myself and my interests. I’m interested in a lot of things, but I’m not particularly passionate about any of them. I love music, so I’ve tried to talk about that with playing my different instruments, but I’m always making everything sound really dramatic. Music doesn’t exactly give me a sense of purpose in this cold cruel world but eh, sure iT dEfiNeS mE. I’m also, according to my applications, OBSESSED with architecture. It’s ALL I want to do with my life. My architectural style is particularly influenced by the designs of A. Hays Town (who I definitely didn’t just research the day the essay was due). A whole paragraph in that essay is just me flexing the new information I learned about him until I realized it sounded too research paper-y. Anyways, so apparently I’m well-rounded AND focused on a singular skill. Honestly I kind of wish I was more like essay-Abbie. She sounds like she’s got her shit together. 

Peace out my dudes,

Abbie 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can relate. After all, I am now going to do an entire research project into regenerating scar tissue so that people with nasty scars (or bug bite scars like me) don't get ostracized for their physical appearance. In all honesty, I have no idea how much research has been done into this idea, but I also think that it would help heal wounds faster.
When you write those papers for colleges, it feels like you are a slightly different person. I am boring on paper. My life is middle-upper class, educated at an expensive private school, and very little struggle. My biggest "failure" is a fight with a friend that ruined my sophomore year, destroyed the fun in debate, caused major trust issues, and sounds too much like a journal entry to send to any school.
I hate the college application process.
Thank you for reading my rant. Abbie, I also wish sometimes that I was the person that lives within the pages of my college apps.

Unknown said...

Hey Abbie! Writing these essays is getting annoying fast. One of the ones I have to respond to asks "why do you deserve scholarships and aid?" Like what?? How do I respond confidently yet elegantly all while not sounding like I'm begging for money. I hate the college application process with everything in me. I can't wait to figure out where I'm going and forget about the rest of the BS.