Tuesday, January 19, 2021

I'm Done with My College Applications!

 Hey y'all, 

On Friday I submitted my last of 20 college applications. Yes, you read that right. I applied to 20 colleges, not including one conservatory. The process was exhausting. So many of the essays were similar to essays I had already written, but they either had a different word limit or a slightly different angle so that I had to rewrite a lot of my work. The annoying thing was that a lot of the prompts were something along the lines of "talk about an intellectual idea that interests you." My CommonApp essay was about the paradox of Schrodinger's Cat and how I apply that to my life every day, which is about as intellectual as you can get. Since I couldn't write the same essay twice, I got creative and wrote about epistasis (a non-Mendelian inheritance pattern), relativity, and time dilation. (Yep, it was a lot.) All of those topics are indeed interesting to me, but those essays took a lot of effort. Additionally, can I just mention the exorbitant fees that these colleges charge? They ranged from $70 to $125! Multiply the average of those (97.5) by 20 and you get a whopping $1,950. And that's not even including the fees of sending test scores! 

    I also had to upload several arts portfolios, which was a royal pain in the rear because the file size of my five-minute videos was invariably too long and I had to convert them or buy other software to upload them successfully. 

    I'll keep y'all posted if and when I get accepted. (So far I've been accepted to Colorado School of Mines.) I find out the majority of my admissions decisions on the same day, which should be interesting. Anyway, sorry for this long rant, but I hope y'all's application processes weren't as tedious as mine. I wish y'all the best of luck with y'all's college admissions. Feel free to commiserate or share y'all's experiences in the comments! 

Love from 

Clara

No comments: