Thursday, January 21, 2021

I'm a French Horn Mom!

 Hey y'all, 

       Many of you probably already know that I got a mini French horn for Christmas, but if not, now you know! I absolutely love my "pocket French horn", as it was called on the website. It's sooooooo cute, and it actually plays! (The harmonics are a little different from the regular French horn, probably because it has 3 valves instead of 4, but I'm still its doting mother.) I first saw a mini French horn at AllState three years ago. AllState is a statewide music competition with two auditions that you have to get through in order to be accepted. Then you go up to Baton Rouge for a weekend and rehearse with your ensemble (symphonic band, orchestra, concert band, choir, and I think they also have a jazz band). It was always a super fun experience, not only because of the amazing pieces I got to play but because of the incredible people I met and the unforgettable experiences I had. (Lol two years ago, this chauvinistic French horn guy - not the one many of you know about; don't worry! - was rude to me the entire weekend, and then on the day of the concert when I was wearing my dress, he had the audacity to say,  "Somebody cleans up nice." Seriously?? He offered me his hand as I was walking down the risers, to deliver me from the certain doom that awaited if I dared traverse them without a man to protect me, but I refused it. I don't think I've ever felt so petty/spiteful in my life, but he deserved it. Anyway...) During our free time, there were exhibitions of cool band/orchestra products, and one of them was a mini French horn. I fell head over heels in love with it. 

       This year, even though AllState's been cancelled, I feel that I still got part of the AllState experience, since I have my mini French horn. I like to call myself a French horn mom, because I feel a deep connection to my French horn and my mini horn. The other day, my mini French horn's valves stopped moving, and I freaked out. I spent 30 minutes pouring an absurd amount of valve oil onto the rotors and into the slides before the valves started moving again, and it felt like I was nursing my own child back to health. I know, y'all think I'm crazy, which is quite possibly true, but what can I say? French horn runs in my blood. 

       I hope y'all enjoyed this weird rant about my "family." Please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments. :) 

Love from 

Clara

No comments: