Monday, January 11, 2021

An Update

This blog might be long, so I'm apologizing in advance.

So much has happened in the past week. A week ago today, we went back to classes after 2 short weeks of Christmas Break, and had a basketball game with East Jeff, who gave us COVID. They were so aggressive. One girl was physically shoving my teammates around and knocking them to the floor, and the ref called nothing. It was ridiculous. On Tuesday, we went to basketball practice, and coach let us know that someone on their team tested positive for COVID, and played in the game. Because I missed practice the day before, I wasn't allowed to play in the game, and consequently didn't have to quarantine. But, Lydia had to quarantine, along with the rest of the team, and so since Tuesday, she's been at my mom's house and I have been at my dads, so as you can imagine, I miss her a lot. We haven't really called each other, so the only time we see each other is in French Class, and I feel so bad for Madame. We couldn't stop laughing the entire time. Lydia would say something funny, or do something stupid, and I would fall out of my chair laughing, which would make her laugh, which made me laugh even harder, which made her laugh even harder. 

Bentley and I are also starting a club focused towards educating people about women and our history, as well as giving girls at StM confidence as a group. The name is a work in progress but the faculty sponsor is none other than your's truly, Ms. King! I'm so excited to start this club. 

Two of my teachers are out sick with rona, Ms. Richards and Mr. Bahat. I miss my daily conversations with Ms. Richards! She accidentally slept through our class today (which, obviously, is forgivable). But because they're out, I'm having to teach myself calculus (I'll admit, I've not been paying attention in class, so that's on me.) and I'm worried I might have to teach myself bio, which, again, I really hope Ms. Richards can take the week off, because from what I've heard, she looked like she wanted to do anything else but teach today. 

Wednesday felt surreal. With the Capitol invasion and New Orleans announcing it will be moving into a modified Phase 1, I had a lot to get off my chest, so I ranted to Mrs. O'Flynn. 

Thursday and Friday were normal, I had basketball practice with 3 other people for an hour, so that was fun. 

I also hear back from my top school on Friday. I'm so nervous to see if I get in. It's Rhodes College, in Memphis, so my hopes aren't exactly high. While I really want to get in, I'm trying not to keep my hopes up so they don't shatter if I don't get in. 

I don't want to alarm anyone when I say this, but on top of everything, I'm not feeling 100%. I've been so tired since 8 pm, and when I looked at the time I thought "It must be 11!" I also have a runny nose and sore throat, and I've been ache-y from the shoulders up all day. I better not be sick, haha. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask: How was everyone else's week?

Unknown said...

Hey, Leven! Yes, I am finally responding to your post. Sometimes contact sports seem fun, but when I hear about this not-so-fun pushing, I reconsider. One time Ally told me about this girl, who was much bigger than 5' 2" Ally, who SAT on her during rugby. Yikes. Especially during COVID, I would be like, "Can you not? Personal space please." I also really miss French class (and you and Lydia laughing all the time). Tell me when y'all actually make food, and I'll come by on Thursdays and Fridays. I think your club sounds like an awesome idea. Some of my mom's friends started this nonprofit organization a few years back (now discontinued) called Girls First. It was a program for underprivileged girls, and it provided a space for them to learn social skills while encouraging them to become part of sports teams, more invested in their education, etc.. I went to some of their events back in middle school to help and saw how impactful it could be. So, while I don't think anyone would call us underprivileged, I think it's a great idea to build a stronger community and provide a space for girls to grow and become more confident. Sorry to hear about your teachers (for both your sake and theirs, but mostly theirs- sorry Leven). The whole pandemic becomes a lot more real when people you actually know get it and are affected by it. I really hoping for you to get into Rhodes! I know you really want to go there, so good luck! I also hope you feel better (hopefully you're still immune from a few months ago). If not, I guess it really is a good thing we're all quarantined right now.... But yes, lots of love, Leven!

Unknown said...

Hey Leven,
I hope that you are feeling better, and that you got in! As for the women's history, can I just say YES? I would love to join, so please send me the info! I mean, the fact that the schools' dress codes ENCOURAGE RAPE CULTURE? I have read so much about that topic because it is so important to women.
Honestly, the last two weeks, the COVID cases keep rising, and so I wonder if we should just go online. I would prefer a slightly less structured system (aka we don't have online class for every class everyday) because some of my classes don't need to meet everyday, an both the students and teachers get more out of 3 classes/week than the 5 classes/week currently. Zoom school is exhausting, so we should all be given some slack. It is just as hard this year as it was last year, but the school (not the teachers, because they are just as tired as we are) somehow got the idea that more structure is better? The students that aren't going well will do poorly anyway, and the students that can handle a college schedule are being punished.

Unknown said...

Hey Leven! I am glad to see you posting on the blog, haha. Anyway, I really liked your post, and I know that you will get into your top school! This week has been crazy, like you said. I do miss Ms. Richards, also. She's so fun in class, and I can always talk to her. Mr. Bahat isa new teacher but I do hope he feels better. I like him as a teacher, and I hate how he got sick so soon. Also, I have to say, I am 100% joining Bentley's club. She told me about it, and it sounds so awesome.

Overall, I am excited you are posting on the blog, and I really do hope you feel better!!