Friday, October 2, 2020

Erica's Corner / My Dog, Sophia

Hey Everyone! I just wanted to use this week's "Erica's Corner" to talk about my dog, Sophia, that passed last week. We rescued her in November of 2005, as a therapy dog for our family, while we dealt with the stress and destruction of Hurricane Katrina. I remember thibking, on the ride home from adopting her, how small she was in my little 2 year-old lap. I actually picked out her name, it was between Sophia, Lola (after the iconic Hannah Monatana character), or Isabella. I liked Sophia the best. As time went on, Sophia (as most smaller dog do) started developing severe internal issues, but she was a strong dog, and still was her happy little self. 15 years is a life well lived... So much joy she has given to us. It's always hard to say goodbye, but she was in pain. I know it sounds cheesy, but you know what they say... "If you love something, let it go." This is what Sophia looked like:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of Sophia, Erica. I remember her from when I came over for Christmas and she was just the sweetest little dog. Zoey is so chaotic and Sophia balanced that perfectly when you needed a small break. I almost want to say she is like the sweet version of the stereotypical little white dog with eye crusties that live through literally everything that should bring them down. She was a little light that I know helped your family through so much. I know she'll be dearly miss by you, Paula, and Alec.
Rest in Power Sophia, say hi to RGB for us.

Unknown said...

Hey Erica. I'm so sorry for your loss, I know exactly how it feels. We had to put Sadie down about two years ago. We got her when I was two years old, and she lived to be about 13 (3 years longer than what they told us she would live to!). It was hard to know exactly when was the right time to say goodbye, because she always had a huge appetite and was eating up until the day we had to put her down. But, in the end it was the right thing to do, because she wasn't living a happy and painless life anymore. Again, I'm sorry for your loss, and I like to think that Sadie and Sophia became friends up in doggy heaven <3

I don't think you can attach pictures to responses, but Sadie is the dog in my profile picture.

Unknown said...

Hey Erica. I’m so sorry for your loss. A few years ago we had to put down Tucker, a dog who was always there for me when I was a kid. Because I was scared of monsters under my bed, he’d lie under my bed. As soon as I went to sleep, he’d go to my parents’ room where they had a doggy bed. Basically, he was always there for me when I needed him. We were really close. When I was four, my other dog would run away sometimes, so I would chase after him. Tucker would follow right behind, make me stop, and howl until my parents could find me. I like to think that I’ll see him again when my time comes. If anyone deserves heaven, dogs do.