Saturday, October 24, 2020

Guinea Pigs and Hamsters

This is very random, but I really want a guinea pig. I used to have hamsters, but that was years ago and I haven't had a rodent in a long time. I got my first hamster when I was 10, I think. I named it Fargo after the city I was born in. He was pretty cool, but hamsters don't really do much except eat, sleep, and run around in their wheel at 2 in the morning when you're trying to sleep. One time, Fargo escaped through a broken wire in his cage, and he jumped off of my five foot tall dresser and hid under it until I got home and found him. That was scary because I thought my dog had eaten him, but no, he was just chilling under my dresser. My second hamster was one that I saw at Petco as a baby, but my mom wouldn't buy for me, and when we went back to Petco around 6 months later, she was at the very front of the store for only $10 because nobody wanted her. I got her and named her Bliss. No reasoning for that one, I think I just googled "cool girl hamster names." Bliss also escaped, but that's because I accidentally left the cage door open like an idiot. She was fine, too, she just ran under my bed and hid there. I don't know why they bothered escaping, since they didn't even go anywhere and just hid, but hey, at least they had a cool little adventure.

Anyway, I want another rodent. Maybe a guinea pig, since they live for longer. But, my dad told me no because 1) he doesn't like rodents, and 2) I'm going to leave for college soon anyway, and he doesn't want me to just get a new pet and then leave, which is fair. Oh well, I guess I'll just get one when I'm older. Another animal I've always wanted is a Rottweiler, but that's a much bigger commitment than a guinea pig, so when I get my own place, I think I'll start off small.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Laura!

What an interesting post. I too would like a small creature, i.e. a bunny, to show my affection to, but my mom has refused. If you would like to arrange pet negotiations, please let me know. I look forward to our partnership in parenting little fuzz balls.

Yours truly,
Hunter

Unknown said...

Hunter, I would love to co-parent a bunny with you. Unfortunately, I don't think my dad will be swayed on his decision, even if the responsibilities were split. It really is a shame. If your mom changes her mind on the matter, let me know, and I'll come over and introduce myself to the bunny.

-Laura