Friday, October 2, 2020

Hope

The St. Martin's swim team had a swim meet Friday night. I swam the 200 free (8 laps) and 100 free (4 laps), the first of which is considered a distance event, the second, more of a controlled sprint. I swam the 200 free first, and everything was good for the first two laps- my stroke was strong and I was able to push hard off my flip turns and not breathe. However, fast forward to the approximately 5-6 laps in, and I was really starting to hurt. I felt as if I could hardly push off the wall and that my legs just didn't have as much force as they usually do.  I had to breathe going into and off the walls (which is a very bad thing). My body was squirming, and I just didn't feel fast. However, though I was still tired from my previous event, I was able to give a decent effort for my 100 free. Even when I got tired, I pulled hard and did my best to keep up my tempo. I'd like to think of this as a metaphor for the time we're in. I, and I'm guessing some of my classmates, are beginning to stress, whether about college or other things. However, I know, and hope others do to, that it's okay. We will push through the water, no matter how resistant it is. Everyone has moments of doubt throughout their lives, but we can overcome them. Though he faced more challenging circumstances, Jojo in Sing, Unburied, Sing still overcame those adverse events. Though Leonie was emotionally stunted, we still have time to grow. Sing, Unburied, Sing is a novel about tragedy, but it in, there is still hope. While the ending was not a particularly cheerful one, Jojo and Kayla were safe, with Kayla leading the way for hope.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Izzy! As a fellow swimmer, I really related to this post. For those of y'all who don't know, I swim the 100 yard butterfly and the 100 yard breaststroke (both of which are 4 laps). Over the years, I've begun to realize how much these 4-lap races (especially the 100 fly for me) represent our high school experience. For the first lap, we dive in and are immediately submerged into the freezing water. Freshman year is truly an instance of "sink or swim." Once we reach the wall and do a flip turn, we've (hopefully) gotten a more steady pace and feel adjusted to the icy water. But as we turn, our feet miss the wall, putting us a pace behind. The whole second lap we are playing catch-up; sophomore year is not the breezy experience we expected it to be. The second flip turn goes smoothly, and we are super excited to start junior year - we'll finally be upperclassmen! But as we continue through junior year, we swallow a mouthful of water. We are, quite literally, struggling to stay afloat. After the last flip turn, despite the fact that our entire body aches with exhaustion, we are so ready to get out of that pool! This is how senior year feels for me already. I am so nervous and excited and grateful for all of my experiences at STM, but simultaneously I am beyond ready to start the next chapter of my life. I'm sure most of y'all feel the same way. Anyway, all this to say, let's not sprint the last 25 of the 100 yard race that is our high school experience. Let's enjoy it, because before we know it, we'll be climbing out of the pool and into the rest of our lives.

Unknown said...

This weekend, I went with the Trinity Youth Group to do a high ropes course. While it is a different experience than swimming, there are definitely stages. I did this one path where we climbed up the 25ft pole, stood on top of it, and then jumped off to grab a trapeze bar. It felt like a convoluted metaphor for this year because we climbed to the top of high school, and right now we are all standing on the top of that pole, trying to gather the courage to jump to our next step- college- but unsure if we can do it. Though the ropes were holding me, I had to take that leap, just like we all have to leap onto college.

Unknown said...

Hey Izzy! I just made a post about how life feels like I'm trying to run through quick sand right now. While it's scary to think about going off on my own to college, I'm also so eager to start fresh somewhere. This post makes me feel less alone, so thank you for that. Honestly, I can compare how I feel right now to how I felt reading One Hundred Years of Solitude lol. To me, it felt like that book had no climax and was soo repetitive. It took so much concentration for me to get through a couple pages, but I was dying to get to the end. That's exactly how senior year has been for me. In the end, I did finish the book and did well on the essay so the struggle wasn't for nothing. We got this guys!