Thursday, October 22, 2020

Hamilton!

 Recently there has been a topic of discussion concerning the realistic portrayal of the history in life of Alexander Hamilton done by Lin-Manuel Miranda in his play Hamilton. Many have argued that the play is unrealistic as somei lyrics were not historically backed. For example Angelica Schuyler was already married during the time in which she met Alexander Hamilton making the song Satisfied a bit questionable considering that she was already taken, which would have ruined one of the ideas within the play Angelica gave up her chance to be with Alexander for her sister.  Critics also. Lin-manuel Miranda's choice of an all black cast was inappropriate as it may lead some to believe that the true historical events may have been more inclusive than before. They believe his inclusion of African American actors male lead some to believe that America was more Progressive than they were during this time, claiming that Lin-Manuel Miranda should have been more honest with his choice of who would represent the founding fathers. Due to some of these “false narratives” many historians have attacked  Lin-Manuel Miranda for his adaption of the history of America, as they claim that it glorified Alexander Hamilton to be more heroic than the actual person himself.  I'd argue, Lin-Manuel Miranda, although he intended to tell this tale of Hamilton through a new lens, did not aim for complete accuracy in his retelling the story of Hamilton because that was never his overall intention. The title of Hamilton is followed by “an American story,” which leads me to believe that Lin wanted to explain the development of America as a country through the triumphs of Alexander Hamilton who we see was not the ideal founding father as some of us may have thought. He includes in all African-American cast to further this point that the development of the United States was done through core principles of freedom. Lin-Manuel Miranda in his play of Hamilton aims for a true retelling of America's history through the life of Alexander Hamiltonm not a true retelling of Alexander Hamilton through the history of America.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Ryn! I would say I agree with you. As a playwright, I feel that Miranda has the right to take some artistic liberties. The play is not meant to be nonfiction, but more on the side of historical fiction. Historical fiction leads to embellishment, exclusion of certain details, or the input of the imagination of the author. I don't think the play was broadcasted as being exactly historically accurate or to be used in a classroom setting. I think that the inclusion of African Americans in the cast was a big step, as we all see that Hollywood is mostly white dominated. I think it's say to assume that most people know that George Washington was not African American. Rather, it was a symbol of inclusion TODAY, since there was exclusion in the past. The inclusion of race reminded me of the movie Crazy Rich Asians. It was such a big deal to see other races being the main spotlight. I think inclusion should be normalized. I also really like your last sentence about it being a story of "America's history through the life of Alexander Hamilton not a true retelling of Alexander Hamilton through the history of America." I had the chance to see the play live in Chicago, and I really enjoyed it. With works of art, I don't really consider myself a critical person, because it is much nicer to just enjoy what's before you rather than picking it apart.

Catherine Ronquillo said...

Hey Ryn! As many of my friends hate, I am one of the biggest fans of Hamilton. Like, when it came out this summer on Disney +, my best friend and I had our own viewing party and everything. Anyway, I do completely agree with what you're saying. While I absolutely love to scream the lyrics of "Satisfied" in my bedroom, I can agree that it is most likely historically inaccurate. However, I actually really love how he made the cast almost entirely all black. I think this was an idea foreign to Broadway at the time. I feel like through his success, he normalized more inclusive casts in theater which was something that was entirely lacking. Also, I think Lin Manuel Miranda was taking creative freedoms in doing this. I mean, he did also write the entire musical primarily in rap songs and I don't think that's ever been done before. I think Lin Manuel Miranda had a goal of breaking barriers and defying the norm and in my opinion, he was incredibly successful in doing so. He also gave me an entire playlist to perform in the shower so for that, I am grateful:)

Unknown said...

Hey Ryn!! I LOVE Hamilton. I just watched it for the first time a couple of months ago. I think his way of handling Hamilton’s story was really good. The main purpose was to tell the story of Hamilton, which he did. He changed some facts, but the play isn’t supposed to be a direct recounting of history, I think, but an opening to a discussion of history, encouraging us to find out more for ourselves. Most historical fiction is not necessarily 100% accurate anyway. There are usually some elements that are more dramatized for the purpose of storytelling. One small embellishment, for example, that I find in a lot of historical fiction is that of basic hygiene. It was honestly much grosser back then. Complete accuracy is not always what a story needs.

Unknown said...

Hey Ryn! I know a lot of the criticisms Hamilton has received, and I would just like to say it's a Broadway play. Yes, you are learning something, but Lin-Manuel Miranda is trying to fit the Alexander Hamilton's entire life in a 2h and 45 min play! Of course it's not going to be 100% accurate, and some things have to be adjusted to retain the attention of the audience. And speaking onto the inclusivity of other races portraying the Founding Fathers, I think it is totally fine that they are involved because Alexander Hamilton's story doesn't change! Like Oedipus, the audience goes in knowing a bit about th characters, especially the Founding Fathers, therefore, I don't think it's wrong having other races playing originally white characters. Time is also progressing! We should be able to acknowledge that with these actors playing the Founding Fathers. Anyway, enough of that rant, I love Hamilton so much, and I'm glad you brought this up! I learned the words to all the songs in 2016, and I still know them. And, I watched Hamilton in New York and saw it twice on Disney +. In other words, I'm obsessed (that might be a problem).