Thursday, October 22, 2020

Izzy's Ramblings: Misery loves company

Izzy's Ramblings: 

Misery loves company. We all know this fact of life. But I think we can actively work against it. When I am upset over a grade or sports competition, I want to commiserate with someone about my terrible feelings. Do I want them to have a bad grade or perform poorly, though? When I have to drive my little brother to school, do I want to make my sisters come along just so I am not the only one who has to wake up early? Instinct may say yes, but logic says no. Why would I hope for someone else to be sad? Especially if it’s something in our control, why would I want another person to be distraught when I can sacrifice myself for both of us. If a car is parked a quarter of a mile away in the rain, would I make someone else run with me to it? Or do I take the brunt and retrieve the car myself so they do not get wet? Life is about sacrifice. I want to make others happy, not sad, even if it means inconveniencing myself. Everyday, I try to learn to be a little less selfish, even if it's just the little things and most of it is in my mind.

Well, there's my rambling. I hope some of you feel the same way.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, and I think I started thinking of this because of Oedipus' tragic fate. When Jocasta discovered the horrible truth, she begged Oedipus to not go further in the hopes he could be spared. Nevertheless, Oedipus plowed on. If only he had accepted the blissfulness of ignorance Jocasta had offered.