Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Initial Reaction to “The Waste Land”

Last night, I was excited to read “The Waste Land” because I enjoyed “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” so much. However. After reading the first couple lines, I was immediately rethinking this decision. “The Waste Land” is nothing like “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.” T.S. Eliot uses so much juxtaposition and fragmentation that it was difficult for me to understand what he was trying to get cross to readers.
I understand that T.S. Eliot writes in a very complex way, however in ways I think that is difficult to follow. While reading the first part, I felt as if I was just lost, in both the text but also in life. Maybe this is the point of the title?? T.S. Eliot titles his work “The Waste Land” to show the chaotic world we live in. He portrays this by confusing and overwhelming readers with information that causes them to feel as if they are living in a useless world. 

What were y’all’s first thoughts?
x

No comments: