Monday, March 23, 2020

In response to the article

After reading the article Ms. King sent us on "American resilience", I felt like I could somewhat relate to the type of person that the author was describing. When first hearing about the school's closure due to the virus, I immediately found comfort in knowing that places like the mall, movie theaters, and restaurants would still be open (although that has since changed.) I find it odd that in times of crisis, our leaders are encouraging us to seek these types of comfort. My initial thoughts were honestly along the lines of "watch this virus try and stop ME from living my daily life." It's a very selfish outlook, and as soon as I got over myself (it took a couple days) I was very content in knowing that I wouldn't have the option to walk about shopping malls and eateries as I pleased. However, there are plenty of people in America who still can not believe that this "essential right" to shop, eat, and drink wherever and whenever they want is being taken away. The article was completely correct about the American version of "bravery." Instead of admitting our susceptibility to this new "enemy," many of us immediately focused on ways that we could show this virus "who's boss" by proving to it that it can't stop us.

I was wondering if anyone else also related to the article in any way, or just had thoughts about it in general?

Still hope everyone is doing well and I can't wait to see y'all tomorrow.

No comments: