Friday, March 13, 2020

IMITATION IS THE SINCEREST FORM OF FLATTERY

My royal subjects,

So, I just wanted you all to know that on the Wikipedia article for The Waste Land (you know, the T. S. Eliot poem that we are reading), there is an entire section entitled "Parodies".

This piqued my interest, so I decided to read it.

Turns out that there is a large amount of parodies of The Waste Land by other famous poets. Famous horror writer H. P. Lovecraft did one in 1923 entitled "Waste Paper: A Poem of Profound Insignificance". Don't let the title fool you, the poem was done in good fun. Lovecraft loved the poem and merely wanted to pay it homage with a gentle ribbing.

I'll link to it here.

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/poetry/p228.aspx

There are other parodies as well. In fact, there is entire section dedicated to parodies of T. S. Eliot on the BBC's website. I'll link to that here as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/archers/listeners/parodies/wasteland.shtml

All of this just goes to show how large of an impact that Eliot and his writing have had on the world of literature.

And to the Soviet scum:

The 48 hours has elapsed and despite my best efforts to show you mercy, you have still not revealed yourself. I am not surprised. Disappointed, yes, but not surprised. I had you pegged as a coward from the moment you first posted, as only a coward would hide behind a moniker instead of standing proud for what they believe.

Citizens of the blog, rest assured that your king is doing everything he can in order to root out the parasitic, so-called "revolutionaries" that are poisoning my- nay, our great kingdom. I have appointed the noble Lord Elliot Peyton to be tasked with tracking down these criminals.

Once they are found, I shall take incredible pleasure in executing them publicly in the Van Slate yard.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

In all of my magnificence,
King Tanner Duncan Sykes I

No comments: