Tuesday, April 13, 2021

work

My parents made me get a job. At Langenstein's. I'd really rather not, but apparently I have no choice. I am not built for customer service, I'm too socially anxious. The manager lady said I have to greet every guest I see and ask them if they need help with anything, but I don't want to help strangers . I'm not going to remember where everything in the store is, so how am I supposed to help someone find something if I don't know what I'm talking about? I was talking to Rikki last night and she said that she told her mom I was going to work at a grocery store, and even Mrs. Bourg was like "Laura? A cashier?" I get nervous talking to strangers, so this is not going to be a fun time. Hopefully it'll help me become more comfortable with strangers, but the first bit is going to be not fun. Luckily the close at 8 pm, so on school days I won't be there for longer than 4 hours. I'm just really not looking forward to it. I start today, so hopefully there won't be a lot of people cause of the rain.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Laura! Good luck with your new job. Out there acquiring some life skills. I thought you were referring to the Langstein's on Metairie Road in Old Metairie which we go to sometimes, so I told my mom to keep a lookout for you. Unfortunately, you're way out in Little Farms so that is not the case. I'm sorry you're so nervous. If it helps, I think you're funny and nice to talk with! And starting out younger where there is perhaps less success to be perfect will hopefully make customers less likely to get mad at you. We can hope. Also, I need you to tell me why in the world there was a two hour safety video. That would certainly turn my brain to mush as well. How does something like that even take that long? I wonder if you'll start feeling independent with your newfound source of income. Best of luck! I'm rooting for you!

Unknown said...

Liz is such a character.

Unknown said...

Izzy, there were five different videos that added up to about 2 hours. They weren't all on safety. One was, and the others were on cashier/scanning techniques so that you don't get a repetitive strain injury from scanning too much with the same motion, customer service, and sexual harassment. They weren't all on safety, luckily, but the videos were clearly made in like the 90s, because the aesthetic and video quality were so janky. The break room is also in the very back storage room with all of the products, so it was very dreary and gave me a headache from sitting in there for so long and having to stare at at the bad video quality for 2 hours. Oh well, I get $25.47 out of it.

Unknown said...

Dear Hunter,

I do agree, Liz is quite the character. But is she wrong? No. She isn’t.

Unknown said...

Dear Laura,

As promised, I will be coming to spend time with you during lunch breaks so you don’t feel like killing anyone. The service industry is a hard one, and I can’t wait to get a call from you after you have your first “Karen” encounter. I’m honestly curious to see exactly how you’ll react to that. So when that day comes, I’ll show up with food from where you request and we can eat while you decompress from the press that is working at a grocery store. Good luck, you’ll need it.

With much love,
Rikkle

Renee Angerer said...

As a person who worked a service job (Popeyes), I can definitely get what you mean by being nervous. People get angry about food! I wish you luck, and I hope you get experience out of it, but I am sorry that you have to work all summer.