Monday, April 12, 2021

Procrastination

Have y'all ever finished a paper or a story or something really late at night and you're like "yeah, that's really good!" and then you read it over in the morning and realize it wasn't nearly as good as you thought it was at 2 am? Yeah, I turned in the first part of my screenplay today, which I finished at 2:45 am because I left it to the last minute, like usual. While it isn't bad, it's just... I don't even know how to describe it. The first part is one of the pirates meeting one of the cowboys in a bar, and they're just flirting and talking about how they're gonna have sex. So, I read back over it and it's kind of explicit. Which I guess is fine, considering it's supposed to be realistic dialogue, and I doubt people like pirates and cowboys would be very modest when it comes to sex, but still. Felt kinda uncomfy turning it into Ms. Davis. Some of the direct lines:

ODESSA

Who cares if you can’t find a seat in the bar? You’re going to end up sitting on a cock at the end of the night, anyway.



THEA

Very uncalled for, Odessa.



ANI

Uncalled for, but not wrong. Good night, ladies, I’m off to get shit faced and find a nice big cock to sit on.




and

ANI

Oh no, you assumed right. We’re definitely fucking later. I'm just messing with you.


Malcolm smiles, and Ani takes one of the shot glasses from in front of him and moves it to her own pile.


ANI (CONT’D)

Four for me and two for you. Buy the next round, too, and I’ll consider throwing in a blow job.


So you can see why I'm a little hesitant to have this be the final product lol. But anyway, that's not the point of this post. I'm a chronic procrastinator. Like it's really bad. I could have a month to do something, and I will always leave it to the night before at midnight. I've told myself that it's because that's when I do my best work- late at night and when I feel the deadline looming over me. But I honestly think that that's because I've conditioned my brain to work at its peak at that time. Since it's kind of the only time I work. I don't have a problem doing small stuff like math homework during the day, since it's a quick time killer, but when it comes to big projects like this screenplay, or my fake nation project for civics last year, it always ends up getting done the night before. I do try to start things earlier, like I did a page of my screenplay on Tuesday or so, but it just doesn't turn out very well. It just sounds worse and in a different voice than the rest of my writing, because if I have time to sit and think over the wording, I overthink and then end up ruining it. So, what I've concluded from my years of poor time management is that I work best when I don't have time to overthink, which unfortunately means starting at midnight the night before. I also just don't feel like starting stuff when I have 5 days to complete it, because "I have 5 days, why would I work instead of sitting here and watching tv?" And then suddenly it's been 4 days of watching tv, and I haven't done anything.

Hopefully I can get on a better schedule in college. I need to start early and immediately come up with a study schedule so that I can actually get decent sleep. We'll see if I procrastinate on finding ways to stop procrastinating, though.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Laura, I understand your procrastination. In fact, I think I am more likely to procrastinate the less work I have because I think it won't take too long so I can just do it later. Just last night, the only homework I had was reading for English, and I didn't start until 10pm because I was doing random stuff like trying to pay my breakfast bill or picking out senior photos. And because I was sitting on the couch and my dad was watching this tv show Kim's Convenience, I got a little distracted. Oh well. I still went to bed at 11pm so not terrible. Sitting in English class right now though first period, I am a little tired. I also thought there was a strong possibility of school being cancelled or put off because of the weather, but no. I ran off the road into a huge pot hole because that side of the street was covered with water so I couldn't see the road (or where it ended for that matter). On the bright side, I laughed out loud at your dialogue, so maybe Ms. Avery will too. Do you every get home from school and think you'll do the more important stuff like writing a paper or studying for a test later when you're less tired? Like that ever happens. Best of luck with creating your new schedule.