Sunday, February 21, 2021

Say Yes to the Dress

 I hope y'all had amazing breaks, and Laura, I hope your break got better! We only have 9 weeks of school left (plus AP exams) and Spring Break! I must say, though, that with graduation comes stress, especially about college choices (I have not decided yet!) and the dress we are going to wear. I tried to figure out were the tradition came from for the white dress, and all I found was that it came from a sense of 19th century uniformity. Today, most schools use graduation gowns, but we are special so we need special traditions. Actually, in some ways it is super exciting because I get to wear my mother's wedding dress! we are getting it modified (taking off the shoulder pads is a must), but I am so excited to wear it!  It feels like a sort-of legacy thing. We agreed that I would not wear it for my actual wedding (it isn't truly my style, but it is gorgeous), so using it for something is super exciting. Has anyone else chosen their dress? 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Renee! That's really cool that you're repurposing your mom's wedding dress! You've always had a creative flair, so I'm really excited to see how it'll come out! I don't know where the white graduation dress came from, but I know the white wedding dress came from Queen Victoria in Britain at her wedding to Albert of Saxe-Coburg in 1840. Her dress was trimmed with lace, so maybe that's also why lace is popular in wedding dresses. I actually just got my graduation dress this weekend. I have always had a strong dislike for shopping because I value comfort in clothes over just about anything else so sometimes it's hard to find clothes that fit juuusttt right. I actually found Ally's graduation dress at the store (since that's where she got hers to). It looked nice, but I didn't want to wear my sister's graduation dress if you know what I mean. I wanted it to be my own. Anyways, I got my dress, and it should be hemmed by mid-March for me to try on. Crazy we're actually graduating in a few months!

Unknown said...

Hi Renee!

I love that you're wearing your mom's wedding dress. That's such a good way to reuse it and carry on a tradition possibly (maybe if you have kids, they could wear it for their graduation too). I also went the wedding dress route, but I just bought a new one. I found one while shopping for a possible prom dress since I wanted a formal dress just in case we still have one. It was on sale since the dress wasn't in season and fit all of the criteria that I know of for the dresses. They probably should have sent out more guidelines of "dress code" since they care so much about that now...or at least that's what I've heard. I need to get the dress taken in at the waist and should probably get that done soon. Our last day of school is April 30th and I'm honestly counting down the days until then. I'm nervous about leaving and going to college, especially since I also haven't chosen a school, but I personally am so ready to get out of here. I have my reasons, I think we all do.
I hope everything goes well with your dress, especially the shoulder pad removal.