Wednesday, February 24, 2021

_ _ _ _ _ * _ * *** * _ * _ * _ _ _ _ * * * (Morse Code)

 Hey guys! So I managed to finish all my homework last night before 9pm, so I had some free time on my hands. Therefore, I decided to learn morse code! It was actually pretty easy. I had been trying to learn one letter a day, but then I found a video that explained everything much faster and simpler. I think I have a pretty good handle on the alphabet, and numbers 1 - 10 are also very easy. I can't really receive messages so well, but if I wrote down the code and then took some time to go back and translate I think I could do it. I tried to explain it to my mom last night, but I suppose it's a lot to explain in a few minutes. I'm going to try and teach my dad and brother tonight if I don't have too much work. We always joked in our family that we would have a secret language. We thought it would be Mandarin (for obvious reasons) but those lessons fell through several years ago. I'm not sure how tapping would work for the dashes (long), but I still think it would be cool to communicate with people in a non-traditional way. If you'd like to learn or already know it and want to practice, let me know! It's actually really fun! 


**   _ _ * *   _ _ **   _ * _ _


(pardon any mistakes; I did just learn this last night)


Also, the title is not letting me properly space the letters, so here is morse code in morse code below:


_ _       _ _ _      * _ *      ***      *             _ * _ *      _ _ _      _ * *      * 

3 comments:

Ryn said...

That is so cool Izzy! I have always wanted to learn morse code. I don't know if you recall but once an American soldier was able to communicate with the main base through a hostage clip by blinking in morse code to tell them where he was. I know it is truly rare but I swore that I would need to learn morse code just in case I was ever held hostage lol. It is also just a really cool way to communicate without words, ya know? I am so glad that you are learning however as it is an amazing skill to have and a great pastime to take up. Do you think you will move on to ASL once you are done? Since it is another nonverbal form of communication? Let me know if you do as I would love to learn with you.

Unknown said...

Hey Izzy,
Could you send the link to the video that you used? I would love to watch it, even if I don't pick up as much as you seemed to! I think that morse code is very interesting, but the most important part is to learn it with someone! What is the purpose of language besides to communicate?

Unknown said...

Of course! Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8tPkb98Fkk&feature=youtu.be . Feel free to find me in the Peyton center during break if you want to practice!