Saturday, February 27, 2021

my LYRE contest piece

Hey y'all, so once again I don't know what to post this week, so I decided to share the piece that won third place in the LYRE contest :) I would've shared the first place piece, but it was like 14 pages long. So, here, have this instead.


Mr. Morgan


I didn’t even learn the name of

This hurricane because I

Thought it would pass us like

All of the others this year. It

Didn’t. We have no power and no

Internet, and consequently nothing

To do. I come downstairs on the

Second day of no power to

Find that the flashlights piled

Up on the kitchen counter the

Night before have been removed,

And in their place sit

Three bottles of sweetly flavored

Jackson Morgan liqueurs.

Banana Pudding Cream,

Peaches & Cream,

Peppermint Mocha.

I can tell that the Peppermint

Mocha is the favorite, because

It has the least liqueur left.

There is also a stray

Bottle of Tullamore Dew, “The

Legendary Irish Whiskey”

(Triple distilled) sitting on

The counter. Good to

Know that my parents can find

Ways to entertain themselves

In the midst of a hurricane.


2 comments:

erica ricci said...

Why are we both on Blogger at 1 am? Also, what do you plan on spending your 125 dollar cash prize on? I am just dying to know. Oh, and again, congrats on your wins!
Love,
Erica Ricci

Unknown said...

Hey Erica! I was on the blog at 1 am because I was on the phone with Rikki Bourg herself, and we got to talking about it. I had forgotten that I needed to blog, so I posted this. Also, I went shopping today and bought a mug and a bar of chocolate with dried fruit on it. That was only like $18 total, but it's the first of the money that I've spent. I can't post pictures in comments, otherwise I would show you the mug, but it's a horoscope mug that I thought was cute. It says Libra (my sign) with a design of two butterflies on either side of a scale, and then on the inside of the rim of the mug it says "expressive gentle charming" which are apparently traits of Libras, or at least according to Williams Sonoma. So yeah, I'll probably get some clothes online, or maybe some new boots since people keep pointing out that I wear the same shoes every day. But that's only because I have big feet (size 11-11.5, ugh) and therefore can barely find shoes that actually fit me without looking online. Sad.