Friday, February 14, 2020

Valentine's Day in Russia

So here is just a little interesting thing I found about Vday in Russia:
It is from a website called the Russian store.

"This happens on March 8th, and it only happens for women. It is International Women’s Day, and people in Russia celebrate this day by giving similar gifts to girls and women, regardless of age.
The most popular gifts being chocolate and flowers.
In America we celebrate Valentine’s Day because of Saint Valentine, or Valentinus. In Russia, they celebrate Women’s Day because it pays tribute to the indomitable spirit of women across the globe and equal rights.
Men in Russia respect this holiday, and husbands will sometimes do all the cooking, cleaning, and tending to the kids on this day to allow the women a full day of rest." 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A holiday like this seems very interesting and special. I wonder if they celebrate Mother’s Day in Russia because to me this seems very similar. In America Mothers Day seems to be the day we celebrate and care for all of the moms out there. I know it isn’t the same because every woman isn’t a mother, but i kind of sense a similarity. I am also kind of surprised that Russia has this holiday because to me, it seems to be mainly a patriarchy. Maybe that’s based on stereotypes but I think its really cool that they do that.