Saturday, February 1, 2020

Food in Prison


So I was planning on talking about food in prison in my group's podcast, but I think I will just make a blog post about it instead! So I did some research and turns our wikipedia has a whole page on prison food! I found out some prisons prepare their own food and then others use catering companies, which I thought was very surprising. In the United States, prison meals are designed to be low sugar and salt diets. Also, it is said that dietary and religious concerns are taken in consideration (to an extent). In the UK, the average daily allowance per prisoner is 1.87 pounds (2.48 US dollars). Their meals are generally not made from seasonal produce, but from things like canned goods and frozen foods. 
I found these facts very interesting and if you do too you can read more about it at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_food 

No comments: