Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Podcasts or read?

Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone had a preference on whether they'd want to listen to a podcast or read a book? Also, if there's a specific reason why you'd like to do one or the other? I don't think I have the attention span to read a book for the same amount of time I can listen to a podcast, since reading requires more focus. Our generation often gets a lot of hate for our lack of reading, but I don't think we are at a disadvantage because of it. We can consume information far faster than any previous generation, and I think podcasts and videos work better for me. This is a very easy question to answer so please somebody give me attention and answer and don't make me feely lonely pls I love u all have a good day

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I prefer reading than listening to a podcast because a lot of the nuances of the subject are often lost due to the short length of the podcast. Also, a podcast is just worse radio. At least on the radio, some callers will say the craziest things, whereas, in a podcast, it is just the same person talking about the same subject for a period of time that is both too long and too short at the same time.

Lindsey LaForge said...

Sophia, I personally like listening to podcast over reading a book, well most of the time. Obviously there are pros to both options, but listening to podcast trumps reading a book.
First, podcast allow me to multitask. When I am in the car, it is so easy to put on a podcast and also focus on driving. However, for me, reading demands full silence and attention. I can’t read in the car or in a room full of people, but I can listen to podcast. With this said, it limits my reading time. There are very few times in my day that I have complete silence.
Second, I am always carrying my phone, therefore I can always listen to podcast. However, I am never carrying around a book.
Third, and most importantly, I like podcast over books due the ways of interpretation. When listening to podcast, there is really only one way to interpret it. The point is clearly received by listeners. However, books easily can be interpreted in many ways. I like podcast for the way that the message is universal.
Do y’all agree??

Bharat Solanky said...

I think I would prefer reading over listening to a podcast. Reading is something that involves full attention, whereas when listening to a podcast, you can often get distracted and miss out on/not fully understand important discussion points. Furthermore, reading allows me to retain more information, but with podcasts, I'll have to actively take notes in order to grasp the same material. With regards to enjoyment, though, I would have to say that reading a book is much less interesting than hearing a podcast.