Wednesday, February 19, 2020

The carcass in "A Carcass"

So the first time I read the poem, I thought of the carcass in "A Carcass" as a whale's carcass. I don't know why I thought of it as that animal, even though it clearly states that it has legs. The second time I read through it I thought of it as a deer. When everyone drew their pictures it was clear that basically everyone else thought of it as a deer as well. What did y'all think of it as, and does it even matter what kind of carcass it is in the end? I think it doesn't matter. Let me know what you guys think!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsey LaForge said...

Andreas, I agree with you. I don’t think that it matters what animal it is. However, I do think it is interesting that many of us assume it might be a deer. I wonder why most of us think it might be a deer? Is this because we often see dead deer more than we see other animals? However, when I first read the poem, I didn’t think of a deer.
I thought it was an opossum, or some type of rodent. I thought the carcass was some kind of animal that has no good doings in life. For instance, deer are thought of as a beautiful animal, but not an opossum.
I think that is Baudelaire’s point. He wanted to choose the worst possible animal, rather than one that many would care if s/he died.
Maybe I am wrong, but this was my first thought!