Monday, November 2, 2020

To be a Shawty in a Society made for Tall People

If I was born November 9th year 2002 at 19 in. The average height for females by babies is 19.25 in meaning that when I was born, I was of average height. This high of being considered “average” Did not last long as I quickly realized that I was not growing with my peers. Throughout my educational lifetime I have always been the shortest in my class, and I can always call my teachers trying to make me feel better by promising me that they were short in grade school but got taller during high school. So I patiently waited, joining extracurricular Sports such as yoga to stretch out my joints and perhaps give me an inch or two,  what was bitterly met with the same outcome because when it was time to stand in height order my freshman year, I was still the shortest in my class.  You may think that being short isn't as bad as it sounds and that I'm being dramatic for being about 9 inches below average. but you don't realize how much of society is built upon men and women being of average or above-average height. The fashion industry automatically makes clothing for those who are of “perfect height;” Always leaving my jeans to be 9 in too long and my dresses to fall below my knees call but no matter how mini they claim to be. A few years ago I learned that cars were not built for tall short people either forcing me to use a cushion so I could see over the steering wheel and get my brakes extended so that I could stretch my legs to reach them. Being short I began to notice other things that may have been ignored if I were average height like how countertops will reach my rib cage which wasn't a problem for me until I realized that from his people the counter would reach their hip.  The infamous  reaching the top cabinet struggle doesn't even feel like it should be mentioned.The woes of being short are endless,  but I have learned that short people adapt to their environment extremely well and learn how to live in a society that sometimes feels, is against them.  I'm interested to see you, however, if you've noticed the same small things that I have.


also

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE --- it is your civil duty

No comments: