Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Tik Tok an Epic Distraction

 Tik Tok from what I can remember began the summer of 2019. From the core memory that I have I can pull up images of learning the dance obsessed, which I swore was so hard to remember, and trying to perform the Renegade and post it online so I could become famous like Charli. I didn't realize how much time I was wasting on the screen of Tik-Tok. Social media has always been about short glimpses and others’ lives that may reveal things as deep as the darkest inner workings of one's mind to things as silly as a cat sneezing. But one thing I find about Tick Tock that's different from Instagram or SnapChat is the fact that the algorithm is so careful to give you content that is carefully crafted for you but is also affected by those you follow and are around. The other day I was sitting down on the couch with my friend and I noticed that we both had the same Tik Tok on our page although we both like completely different things. The Tik Tok algorithm is so Advanced that you can sit there for hours watching 15 second videos and not even realize that you've wasted so much time because it feels like seconds and you're mind.  Tik Tok has successfully taken over this country as a mechanism of distraction that can so easily affect how we think today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Ryn!! I have never related to a post more. My TikTok obsession started last fall, and it’s persisted since. Like you said, the algorithm is so clever and engaging that time flies without me realizing. The videos are short enough to where I will actually watch them through, but long enough for them to actually be interesting. The thing is, however, because I’m so used to TikTok holding my attention for only 15 seconds at a time, I can’t watch a movie or TV show without losing interest after a couple of minutes. My TikTok addiction, as some may say, has literally shortened my attention span. I’ll put on a movie determined to watch it without grabbing my phone, but I always end up opening TikTok. But will I ever stop? No, probably not.

Catherine Ronquillo said...

hi ryn!! i feel the exact same way. considering my for you page is filled with timothee chalamet and new york city, tik tok makes it very hard to look away. and i totally agree with what sofia said too. i have the shortest attention span now. thanks to tik tok, i have self diagnosed myself with adhd. besides quarantine, i can not find the willpower to sit down and finish a movie which is crazy. i find myself watching countless tik toks and while i should limit my time, im not sure that’ll ever happen.