Monday, November 9, 2020

HOCO

 I have split emotions for Homecoming this year. On one hand, this is our last year before we become the ones who are coming home, which is startling for me when a majority of my life has been spent at this school. On another hand, we are seniors! We are the top of the school and should be having a great experience that will be told to friends in 30 years, like my parents have stories of their senior year. On the third hand, (because why not, three hands are plausible) it is disappointing that half our grade doesn't seem to be here for one reason or another. It is disappointing that we will not be able to pack the bleachers for the one game that most of us go to. 

We will not have the same experience as most did. It is not possible to. I think that homecoming reminded me of that hard fact that I was not previously accepting fully. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Renee! I totally understand. This whole year is bittersweet. I’m super grateful I even have the opportunity to have a slightly normal senior, but I look back on last year and long for what we had back then so much. I feel like there’s not much more we can do other than accept that things will probably not go as plan this year and make the best of it. Although we won’t be able to tell awesome stories about our senior year, we do get the bragging rights of saying that we survived the stress and pressure of senior year on top of a pandemic.

Unknown said...

Hi Renee! I understand what you're feeling. I think as a grade, we collectively do. This morning I woke up to an email from the parents of a senior saying they would host a Homecoming dance. I was excited at the prospect, but worried that it would just be a COVID-fest. It still seemed to give me a glimmer of hope that maybe this senior rights of passage would remain intact. It was not to be so. A few hours later, I got another email saying the event was not possible because of school restrictions. I was conflicted about what to feel, because I know that a dance would be a bad idea. But at the same time, I was just so desperate to hold onto this traditional that people talk about 40 years into the future. Like Sofia said, I am really thankful that we are here at school and that I can compete in sports. Our senior year is not the same experience others have had, but it's not within anyone's control to safely change it. I'll just try to remain optimistic and grateful for what I do have, not what I don't. Hopefully our last quarter or so will be more relatively normal, with prom, graduation, and senior chapel...