Saturday, January 11, 2020

Rhinoceros ... (the play)

Hey guys so when we were giving our short presentations I was in the group that focused on theatre of the absurd. When I was researching, one of the plays that came up was called Rhinoceros. I mentioned this briefly in our presentation but I'd thought I go into it a little more on the blog because I found it very interesting and just kind of weird overall. Rhinoceros is a play by Eugene Ionesco and was written in 1959. It is a three act play all about a small French town where all of the people turn into rhinoceroses. Everyone goes through this change except one character named Berenger. Although this character doesn't turn into a rhinoceros himself, he becomes fascinated by everyone else who does. As I was researching the play more I came across a lot of websites that said the play was a response to the "upsurge of Nazism" during WWII. This seemed to be a large topic/theme that was in theatre during this time. What do y'all think? Would y'all like to see a play like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinoceros_(play)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Although theatre of the absurd is composed of purposeless and random acts, I can’t help but wonder if these rhinos have some sort of significance. Why rhinos? Why doesn’t everyone turn into zebras or giraffes? What does the process of turning into a rhino entail? I’d also want to figure out the significance of why the one character, Berenger, is the only one who hasn't turned into a rhino. Is there something special about him? I don’t know enough about his play to answer these questions, but I honestly would want to see this performance to try to answer these questions myself. I also would expect this show to be full of dark humor, which is a form of theatre I enjoy.