Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Dracula rant because I can ok leave me alone

It's probably not a surprise to you that I'm a HUGE Dracula fan. If you were in period 3 English last year you would recall that I did my independent study on Bram Stoker's Dracula and you may also recall that in my oral presentation I stated that I've read it 6 times. I highly recommend this book to people who like slow-burn mysteries. Earlier this week, while I waited for the next season of Sabrina to come out, I discovered that BBC and Netflix have produced their own version of the story. Needless to say, I binged watched the entire 4+ hrs of it Monday night and found it a little disappointing plot-wise but very well done in the SFX and script department. I also realized that there has never been a well done and faithful adaption of this story. The closest anyone came, in my opinion, was Francis Ford Coppola's 1992 fiasco Bram Stoker's Dracula starring Gary Oldman and Wynona Ryder. However, I don't think this story could exist in any other media but print. The book is an Epistolary novel meaning it's told through letters, diary entries, and newspaper clippings. The novel retains the slow-burn quality through its style whereas films need to be more fast-paced for run time. Idk this was a more personal rant but Netflix Dracula is pretty good if you need something to keep you busy.

2 comments:

KING Tanner Duncan Sykes, The First said...

Nobody likes you

Unknown said...

At least I don’t need to be rude to my teachers so they’ll give me the validation I don't receive from my mother...did I say that??? I didn’t even realize it, I guess it just slipped out...