Friday, January 24, 2020

Freedom of opinion

Since we read a piece on the Enlightenment, I started thinking about how truly free we are to express our ideas to the world. I think the internet is obviously a great outlet for us to share beliefs and information with others, but I do feel that it can easily backfire on us. Our generation is definitely persuaded by the masses, I would argue even more so than those who have come before us. Ms. King brought up the concept of "trending" in class today, and I realized just how easy it is for one opinion or belief to take hold of a whole generation of children who have access to phones. A hashtag or idea that's viral on the internet is easily accessible to an age group that probably can't even comprehend some of the topics being presented to them. However, I do think we have a lot more freedom to express ourselves in workplace and school environments, but I definitely wouldn't say we are safe to say our beliefs whenever. People are very quick to reveal political stances now in days, and children can be persuaded at quite a young age to agree with the adults in their lives. I just thought it was interesting question to ask ourselves: are we really free thinkers, or are our minds shaped at much younger ages now?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I would argue that we can be free thinkers, but we choose not to be. I can say that my political views have shifted significantly over the past four years, but that is because I decided to do the work and research the things that were being told to me. We often choose to let others shape our views because it is easier to believe what you are told then to take the time to actually think for yourself.

Bharat Solanky said...

I say that we are free thinkers and that much of what we think is influenced by those around us and by how we are raised. However, I would also make the distinction that we are not free doers or free sayers. Although we are able to think as we please, we often don't say everything we think, partly due to societal pressure not to.

Elliot P. said...

Yea I agree, confirmation bias is an issue nowadays. I've heard it said that the many apps show you only the sides of arguments that you agree with, and because of this many people have stagnant opinions or are misinformed. This has to be just as bad with kids nowadays, as they grow more "internet savvy" and their opinions are more solidified at a young age, they may be harder to change later in life.

Unknown said...

I think that it is arguable that it is even more difficult to express one's freedom of opinion nowadays. This isn't in legal terms but it is in social. If someone truly expresses their thoughts or beliefs on social media, there is not discussion. There is immediate bashing from anyone who disagrees. This common action in a way scares people away from being their true self, out of fear. I think people need to be more open to opinions. Even if something's offensive to someone, freedom of speech is freedom of speech. So I encourage y'all to stop yourselves from making some negative comment towards someone you disagree with and just agree to disagree. Your negativity won't change their mind.