Friday, January 24, 2020

Just a thought

So we all know how language is unreliable, but I think that's what makes language so interesting. Would we really be taking this class or any literature class if language were reliable? Would it be necessary for our core curriculum? This would make English class much more similar to Math class I think. The unreliability of language gives us leeway to interpret literature for ourselves and relate even if how we interpret the literature isn't what the author intended. So what do y'all think about this? Would you enjoy English class more or less if language were reliable?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that I would definitely enjoy it more if it were reliable and not up for interpretation. I do believe that things should be discussed and argued, however, I believe that an author should just be up front with what they are saying if they are really trying to make a point. Why hide it behind some fancy delicate language that makes it more than it is? I think keeping it simple is the best way to go. In math and science, there are factual answers. I understand that there is no one answer for an opinion, but the author’s opinion should be treated as such. If people disagree, let them, that is the point of it all. So, yes I do with language were more reliable. It would just make everything a lot easier.