Saturday, October 17, 2015

I don't understand why Dante organizes hell by specific circles. His interpretation forces these souls to one specific circle. However, if everyone commits multiple types of sins, why should they only be punished for one? For instance, if someone lived a gluttonous life, committed adultery, and killed themselves which circle with a belong to? Their sins would classify them to three separate circles. But according to Dante a person can only belong to one circle. I think Dante's interpretation of hell very subjective and requires a unique set of beliefs to be able to understand the punishment for one single type of sin. It really doesn't make sense to me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you Antonio, but I think Dante had reasoning behind putting everyone in just only one circle. If someone is lustful and kills someone because they are lustful they deserve to be in the lower circle because of the worse crime. I did agree with who ever said that there should be a circle to hold people who have sinned more than once. The issue with this however is that almost everyone would end up being in that one circle. I think that Dante kept this in mind when writing the Devine comedy.