Saturday, March 7, 2015

Rememory at Dachau

When STM Europe went to the Dachau concentration camp over the summer, I experienced something like what Sethe describes as rememory.

The second that you walk into the camp, this feeling hits you. It's something that really can't quite be described. I felt very solemn and alone. The location was filled with memories and events so significant that they could not be separated from the place. The place that this feeling was most prominent was in the crematorium. I could not even bear to be inside of it for too long. I had to step outside because it was too much for me to handle.

These are some pictures from Dachau.


^The gate into the camp 





^^The above three pictures are memorials

^The crematorium sign

^A crematorium

^Another crematorium


^The above two pictures are inside the creamatorium

1 comment:

Sri Korrapati said...

This reminds me of our class discussion where we were talking about how you can't even understand slavery. I think this is the same principle. You can rememory, but it's not the same. I also remember just being there, the atmosphere was exactly how you would expect it to be. Everyone calmed down, even the jokesters of the group (Dainel and Joey) but yeah. Also, in the bookstore I bought and read The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas. I feel like books are the easiest way to experience rememory on the go. TV can help to experience rememory. Also, obviously, going somewhere would help you experience rememory.