Saturday, March 14, 2015

Marquez and Morrison

In class when we were discussing the chapter that is from Beloved point of view, we discussed how this chapter is formatted very differently from the others. Beloved's thoughts in this chapter allude to the Middle passage, and I brought up in class how Morrison might have chosen to format this chapter in this way to make a statement about how the past often seems fragmented in our minds. Memory is entirely subjective, and we all have a different perspective on how something occurred. When we were discussing this, I immediately thought about one of Marquez's quotes. I thought about using it for my yearbook quote because I truly love it. I think it shows well how Marquez and Morrison have some similarities in the way in which they view the present and the past and the role that they place in people's lives.

"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

No comments: