Tuesday, March 24, 2015

I FOUND THE VIDEO I WAS REFERENCING BEFORE BUT COULDN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF AND IT WAS REALLY FRUSTR

Ok so the movie I was referencing is named Carnage, starring Jodie Foster, Cate Winslet, Christoph Waltz, and John C. Reilly.
 In the movie they just argue about random things and constantly switch sides. It reminds me a lot of the situation we see in No Exit between Garcin, Inez, and Estelle and their respective outlooks on life. Christoph Waltz's character, for example, represents a higher, and more educated social class, while Reilly's, who is a plumber guy, represents a lower class. There is also gender tension present in the movie. Here is a clip from the movie:

It is a little more exaggerated than No Exit but I feel it gets across the same point of "there is no point to this argument".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a great comparison, Ross. While I haven't seen the movie, it seems to line up with NE on several points. The futility of the argument, limited physical setting, and complex, intermingled relationships all reflect Sartre's writing/staging. I particularly appreciate how the trailer shows the conflict between the two couples causing divisions within each couple's relationship. I think it reflects how in NE, the intrusion of the third party ruins each relationship. Estelle prevents Garcin and Inez from making any progress, Garcin sabotages Estelle and Inez by his very presence and status as a man, and Inez prevents Garcin and Estelle from having a meaningless fling by making them think too much.