Saturday, March 28, 2015

Futurist Music

What discussion of futurism would be complete without a discourse on the music of the time? Well actually for once I would prefer to skip it. Futurist music, like all art of the movement, abolished traditional techniques to create a style of music that disturbed the listener and conveyed a notion of speed and chaos. Noah Creshevsky's music definitely attempts to do these, especially succeeding at the former. I can't discuss much regarding tone, pitch, or themes because, well, there are none. Give it a try! I myself am honestly not much of a fan, but for the sake of completeness (and a bit of hilarity), here's Creshevsky's Canto di Malavita (which I am just now realizing means "song of a bad life"):

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is absolutely amazing, you can hear the speed, the chaos. What confuses me about it however, is the almost arabian sound to it. This seems odd since I associate Futurism with nationalism and speed so I'd expect an italian nationalist sounding piece but sped up and chaotic.