Saturday, February 28, 2015

Toni Morrison on The Colbert Report

I found this old clip of The Colbert Report where Toni Morrison talks a little about some of her books, like Beloved and The Bluest Eyes, and her thoughts about race and humanity. I honestly thought that the interview was primarily going to be jokes, as usually is with these comedy news programs, but I was surprised to find that it very insightful. While learning about race and the African American experience from reading Beloved is one thing, it is completely different to hear the author explain her thoughts and feelings. She is incredibly witty and, even when just speaking casually, she transforms regular sentences into works of art. I am going to post the link to the seven minute interview below, and I strongly encourage everyone to watch it.

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/9yc4ry/toni-morrison

No comments: