Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Oedipus Rex was my favorite

My favorite thing we read all year was Oedipus Rex, the play of the king of Thebes who marries his own mother and murders his own father all on accident.  I really enjoyed the story that this play told.  Although it was somewhat short and simple, I thought it portrayed themes that were relevant for the rest of the year.  For example, we recently heard of Oedipus again while reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being.  Tomas compares the Russians to the story Oedipus the King.  We also see the play sitting in the engineer's room.  Oedipus acknowledges his mistakes while the Russians do not.  I think overall that it is very interesting that a work from so long ago could have so much influence on other works of literature.  This is why Oedipus Rex was my favorite thing we read all year.

No comments: