Tuesday, April 30, 2013

favorite text

My favorite thing we've read this year was The Eternal Lightness of Being. I liked it because it used accessible language and was actually enjoyable to read. I felt like I was learning and that my mind was "expanding", like I would with a more traditionally scholarly text, but it was by no means grueling. It was also interesting to read something about real human relationships as opposed to lofty philosophy or stuffy things written by scholars. I liked the history unit that accompanied the Unbearable Lightness of Being as well. Czechoslovakia isn't something that I would have learned about otherwise. It's also interesting to learn about communism from the voice of someone that experiences it from the inside. The book was modern, relatable, and odd- in a good way.

No comments: