Saturday, April 20, 2013

movie versus book for unbearable lightness of being

The movie for the unbearable lightness of being did a wonderful job including people's inner thoughts through dialogue. However, a lot of the novel's meaningfulness was lost in the movie. If I hadn't read the book, the meaning of lightness versus weight would have been hard for me to comprehend just through the movie. I like the portrayal of Tomas by Daniel Day-Lewis. Tomas seems rather cold-hearted at the beginning of Kundera's novel, by Lewis does a good job showing Lewis's inner conflict between his sexual impulses and his love for Tereza.

3 comments:

Linz A said...

Yeah. While I understand the sacrifices that the movie had to make in order to portray a story that places so much emphasis on the character's mentality, part of me is disappointed because parts of Tereza and Tomas' relationship changes when they have to make the characters converse about someone of the problems in their lives, when in the book, Kundera explains their mindsets.

Tyler Dean said...

I agree. I just sort of wrote about this in my post (didn't realize you already made one!). I feel like the directors tried to make the film as appealing to the masses as possible and in doing so they excluded a good bit of essential information. I feel like Tereza's thoughts were not portrayed very well. Her extremely important dreams had basically no part in the novel, except sort of when she was in the pool. Her conflict with the body was a very minor detail and her sadness over bugging Tomas about his sexual encounters throughout his life didn't come up at all.

Unknown said...

One of the problems I see with trying to make a book like this into a movie is that so much of what we learn about the characters comes from their thoughts and the narrator, not through dialogue or action. As a result, it felt like some of the acting was a little forced in the movie. I thought that they did a really good job on the ending though.