Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Favorite Novel

Well, it's not really one novel, but more of an author. Notes from the Underground was my introduction to Dostoevsky. In case you didn't notice by the fact that I chose to read Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky for my independent study project, I love his work. I mean, considering his work is translated from Russian, he has a smooth, flawless writing style. But my favorite part of his work is his characters. I remember reading a comment about Dostoevsky's work, saying that all his characters are fallen angels - which is true. Raskolnikov, who planned and succeeded in murdering two people, is certainly considered a good person who fell victim to his circumstances and intelligence. But in Notes from the Underground, Dostoevsky successfully portrays the dislikable, but understandable Underground Man. His characters are complex and beautifully written and I;m reading the Brothers Karamazov over the summer.

No comments: