Monday, November 18, 2019

DANTE, DANTE, DON TAY, DANTY, DAINTY

So after we had that totally easy money test today, I had a thought that I felt should be shared with the world. Is DANTE's Inferno and indictment of GOD?

SO HEAR ME OUT BECAUSE I KNOW THAT SOUNDS A LIL BIT COO-COO-KACHEW CRAZY. Don't worry Brandon, I'll explain.

DANTE feels a whole bunch of pity for the souls in hell, right? He feels sad. The story of Count Ugoliononiainonoyokoono having to gobble down his homies and Francesca doing some light reading winkity wink clinkity clink makes him feel all sad. How can he feel sad IF god is infallible? Is Dante saying that God should consider context? I THINK HE IS.

GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS AND PROVE ME WRONG LINDSEY LAFORGE.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I do not think that Dante is really smart enough to think about context. So I think Dante is just, in a slight way, being a heretic. This is just another reason Dante should go to Hell instead of Heaven. Even if he was saying that God should consider context, he is still questioning the divine way that hell is laid out and who goes where.

Unknown said...

I would argue that Dante is certainly smart enough to think about context, but I would also argue that Inferno is not an indictment of God. Dante is simply going along with what Catholic doctrine stated at the time. I would view Dante's pity more so as human foolishness than as an indictment. Dante believes that God is an omniscient entity and therefore can understand many things that would be incomprehensible to humans. If Dante were truly indicting God, he most likely wouldn't have someone he views as a wise leader, Vergil, state that God is correct in his punishments. Though I personally disagree with the severity of Dante's punishments I don't think that he had the intention to undermine what he viewed as God's divine will.