Saturday, November 16, 2019

2019 Death Penalties

Hey Guys. So I have done some research and looked into the most recent death penalty offenders in 2019. According to Wikipedia, there have been 20 death row inmates executed in US in 2019. 20 by lethal injection and 1 by electrocution. As of right now, 4 more offenders are scheduled to be executed in December of 2019. 3 of lethal injection and 1 of electrocution. After reading this I saw the demographics page about these executions. Of the 20 execute offenders, 100% were male, 65% were white, 30% were black, and 5% were hispanic. Also, 95% were done by lethal injection and the other 5% by electrocution.
After reading that fact, I became interested in how the government and/or court and/or police decide whether an offender gets lethal injection or electrocution. I couldn't find an exact answer for my question. So, if y'all know how they decide HOW the execution goes through please let me know in the comments! (Also if you know WHO exactly makes this decision I am interested in knowing that too!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_offenders_executed_in_the_United_States_in_2019

1 comment:

Elliot P. said...

I believe it has something to do with the preference of the inmate being executed. The logical reasoning to that point would be that the state would ethically have to choose the least painful death possible, which theoretically would be the lethal injection. However I found at least one case from an AP News article of a Tennessee inmate choosing the electric chair over lethal injection because he believed it would be a less painful death: https://apnews.com/d837753cdd954bab86a9fa59ab640d25