Saturday, March 31, 2018

What kind of architecture is there today?

As I researched my section, which was architecture, for the post impression presentation l began to Wannsee, what kind of architecture is there today? Do we have a distinct style? Or is there just a melting pot of different styles? I find today that there is no specific genre or style, it is all dependent on the architect behind the building. For example, each architect that I presented on (Wright, Le Corbuiser, and Rhoe)  all began movements, never really followed one. My philosophy is that architects pick and choose from a plethora of different charcacistics from different styles and then lit this together and create their own, hence each arichtect jas their own style.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I also feel like, from what I can tell, there are less unified movements in architecture, and possibly art in general, currently than there apparently were in the past. While some of this seeming lack of unity compared to previous times might just be due to the difficulty of looking at our own time in the same way, I also think the way that the internet and modern technologies have increased access and ability for different people to create and consume different styles of art have made it nearly impossible for there to be one completely dominant style as there have been previous in different artistic movements. I do think it's interesting, though, to look at what the works of various contemporary architects look like. One possible way to explore this that I just did for a few minutes is to look at the previous few winners of the Pritzker Prize, which is widely considered the highest honor in architecture. The 2018 prize went to Indian architect B. V. Doshi. Looking at some of the works of the winners, they all look vaguely modern to me, but don't seem to have a super unified style. So for anyone interested in contemporary architecture, I'd recommend checking some of the Pritzker architects out.

Unknown said...

I agree with what you're saying about architects picking from different styles to create a kind of mash up of their own, Diego. In particular I see this frequently in organic architecture which you talked about in your presentation. Organic style has a theme of unnasummig structures and blending with surroundings, but I think this is done in many ways. For instance, Frank Lloyd Wright created buildings that simply flowed well with their environment, but still remained distinct as a structure in itself. Other architects, however, blend into their surrounding by using glass structures or reflective surfaces that create an illusion of belonging.