Saturday, March 31, 2018

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves...

I thought Barbara Kruger was a pretty fascinating artist to learn about because her criticism is so direct and pointed…and controversial.  For example, the words from her poster for the 1989 Women’s March on Washington went up on a billboard a year after the march; only twelve hours later, an anti-abortion group put up an image, on the opposite billboard, of a fetus (very, very tiny but developed enough to resemble a small human).  And not only did she create that picture of Donald Trump; she was also part of the inauguration boycott.  So this is a woman who really doesn’t JUST talk.  There was also quite an interesting lawsuit over the “Supreme” brand name/logo.  I’m not going to post Kruger’s comment, but you can find it here at the bottom of the page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Kruger#Teaching

Finally, below are some of the works we didn’t talk about but which really struck me:

http://www.arthistoryarchive.com/arthistory/feminist/Barbara-Kruger.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree, Chloe! Kruger really stuck out to me as well. A few weeks ago the MUN team saw one of her pieces, "I Shop Therefore I Am", at the Hirshhorn Museum in D.C. I did a bit of research after we left, and I was particularly interested by her usage of pronouns. Pronouns are so minuscule and common, but they each carry a specific meaning and connotation. For instance, "we"
or "us" implies unification and inclusion. It's empowering. On the other hand, "they" or "them" implies a separation and even a sense of hostility. By using these small words that carry deep meanings, Kruger is able to resonate with her audience without explicitly stating her targeted population. It's really cool.