Saturday, March 24, 2018

Things Fall Apart Reflection

After reading Things Fall Apart, I think the main thing I came away with was a better understanding of the appreciation of cultures. Achebe's writing style inspires an objective comprehension of Igbo culture, which makes it easy to see them without making any comparisons to the ways I am more familiar and used to.

I think this is a very unique accomplishment. I feel as thought for many people it is easy to become defensive of their culture, or to become apprehensive of another's when they read narratives like Achebe's that take a more polar stance on the subject matter.

1 comment:

Margot Scott said...

I feel like I came away with a better understanding of the appreciation of different cultures as well. There were things I hadn't even contemplated about my own family's culture until one of the discussions we had in class related to Things Fall Apart. I think Achebe wanted readers to draw their own realizations or inferences about Igbo culture so that we could think deeper about our own backgrounds and the backgrounds of people around us.