Saturday, March 31, 2018

Louise (Bourgeois, not Nevelson)

So I sent my presentation notes in essay form to Ms. Quinet but there are still things I learned about Louise Bourgeois and the other artists that I didn't get to talk about in my notes/essay. Like Salvador Dali, Louise Bourgeois had daddy issues as well. When Louise was a little girl, her father had an affair with her English teacher/Nanny while her mother knew about it all along. This betrayal really affected Louise, so much so that she carried this pain with her into adulthood. It also inspired her as an artist; Louise frequently used the spider as a symbol for her mother in her art. The spider apparently represents her mother's perseverance and nurturing disposition. Check out Spider (1997) and Maman (1999) if y'all want some references. 

No comments: