Saturday, October 14, 2017

Pergamon Man Accidentally Marries Living Sibling’s Wife

While Arts and Ideas gives us some information on Attalus I and Eumenes II, it doesn’t really dwell on the originally named (wait for it…) Attalus II.  Actually, it’s Attalus II Philadelphos - aka “Attalus the brother-loving.”  This guy helped out his older brother Eumenes II with military conquests, eventually taking the throne when our favorite Gaul-slayer became…indisposed. 
In 172 BC, Eumenes was coming back from Rome when he went under attack.  Since Attalus II thought Eumenes was dead, he graciously married his brother’s wife, Stratonice, and assumed the throne.  (I’m curious to know what Stratonice thought about this turn of events.)  But then, surprise!  EUMENES HAD SURVIVED!  So Attalus immediately divorced Stratonice and gave the throne back to his brother.
Later, when the Romans told Attalus they’d help him wrest the throne from Eumenes, Attalus was like, “No, thanks!”  Such brotherly devotion.  I mean, if someone told me they’d help me usurp Ally from her throne, I would definitely go for it (I guess I’m not like Creon).
But when Eumenes actually did die in 159 BC, Eumenes’ son was too young to become the ruler.  So Attalus became the regent and remarried Statonice.  He even adopted Attalus’ son, Attalus III!  (Name buddies!)
If only all ancient rulers were like this.  I mean, Romulus and Remus definitely could have taken a page out of these guys’ books.

No comments: